If an international student receives an offer/offers from companies after graduating an undergraduate/graduate school or a Japanese language school, he or she needs to change the visa status from “Student” to an appropriate one, e. g. “Special labor” and “Specialist in Humanities/International Services,” so he or she can work in Japan legally. This immigration procedure for change of status of visa may take up to two months. For that reason, the student must have gotten a job offer at least two months before the student visa expires. (Technically speaking, the student is able to stay in Japan for two months after the visa expiration date while an application for change of status of visa is pending.)
For example, it is best for a student to obtain a job offer by the end of the last school year in college if he or she wants to start working in April. The student should schedule his/her job hunting activities so that he or she has a job offer by January at the latest.
The list of Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about studying abroad
Questions about a visa and status of residence
- Q: What is a visa?
- Q: What do the “status of residence” and “period of stay” mean?
- Q: What is the Certificate of Eligibility?
- Q: What kind of procedure is expected for a foreign national who wishes to invite relatives to Japan during summer vacation?
- Q: How many months in advance should one apply for a renewal of status of residence?
- Q: Currently I live in Japan with a Dependent visa. What are the necessary procedures to visit my home country?
- Q: I am currently outside of Japan and my permitted period of stay is expiring soon. Is it possible to apply for an extension at a local Japanese embassy?
- Q: Could I still keep my passport while I am applying for an extension of the period of stay? Also, am I allowed to travel outside of Japan?
- Q: My visa as a Specialist in Humanities/International Services is about to expire and I am changing jobs soon. What is the required visa procedure?
- Q: I am changing jobs and need to prove that I am eligible to keep my current status of residence. What are the necessary procedures?
- Q: With the expiration of my visa, when do I need to get a job offer by?
- Q: I am illegally staying Japan beyond the period of stay and wish to leave Japan. What do I need to prepare?