Q:Can international students work during their stay in Japan?

Though international students can work part time, their purpose in Japan is to solely study under the residence status of “student.” If a student decides to work part time, he/she must receive permission from the Immigration Bureau in advance to engage in any activities other than those permitted under the status of residence issued.

International students are only permitted to work up to 28 hours a week by law in order to prevent the work from obstructing their study. This total of 28 hours are counted from any day of the week, and includes any overtime hours. If a student holds more than one job, he/she needs to adjust their work schedule with each employer to make sure their total number of hours across jobs does not exceed the 28-hour limit.

However, there is an exception to the 28-hour limit rule during school vacations. At such times, students are then allowed to work 8 hours a day, totaling 40 hours per week during long vacations.

Part time work can be a great opportunity to improve Japanese language skills, which students will need to have if they wish to get a job in Japan after graduation. For this reason, service industry positions at restaurants, convenient stores, hotels, and shops, where communicating with customers in Japanese is required, are popular work places among international students. Please be aware, however, that international students are not permitted to work in any adult entertainment services or at pachinko facilities.

The list of Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about studying abroad

Questions about job hunting

Questions about visa and status of residence

Questions about salary

  • Q: What is the difference between Gakumen and Tedori?
  • Q: What is Minashi Zangyo?
  • Q: What is the average monthly salary at a Japanese company?
  • Q: What is the average starting salary for a new graduate when joining a Japanese company?
  • Q: What is the hourly wage for part-time work in Japan?
  • Questions about lifestyle

  • Q: How can I get a driver’s license in Japan?