Q: I don’t know what kind of jobs match my educational background.

If you are looking to work at a Japanese company, be aware that the type of work you can undertake differs depending on your specialization in college or university.

For work such as interpretation or translation, language teaching, sales and trade affairs, you can get a visa regardless of the type of major you did at university or college. However, for technical work like engineering, programming or mechanical design, with some exceptions, it is difficult to obtain a work permit unless you majored in science and mathematics.

If you are planning to start working in a field different from your academic major, it’s a good idea to consult the recruitment agency or the company you are looking to work for directly.

Questions about studying abroad

Questions about job hunting

Questions about visa and status of residence

Questions about salary

  • Q: What is the difference between Gakumen and Tedori?
  • Q: What is Minashi Zangyo?
  • Q: What is the average monthly salary at a Japanese company?
  • Q: What is the average starting salary for a new graduate when joining a Japanese company?
  • Q: What is the hourly wage for part-time work in Japan?
  • Questions about lifestyle

  • Q: How can I get a driver’s license in Japan?