If a foreign national is illegally staying Japan beyond the period of stay, he/she must voluntarily appear at a regional immigration bureau (Sapporo, Sendai, Tokyo, Nagoya, Osaka, Hiroshima, Takamatsu, Fukuoka) or a district immigration office (Yokohama, Kobe, Naha). In doing so, make sure you bring some form of identification such as a passport and a residence card. At this point, it is not required to purchase an airline ticket to leave Japan.
The list of Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about studying abroad
Questions about a visa and status of residence
- Q: What is a visa?
- Q: What do the “status of residence” and “period of stay” mean?
- Q: What is the Certificate of Eligibility?
- Q: What kind of procedure is expected for a foreign national who wishes to invite relatives to Japan during summer vacation?
- Q: How many months in advance should one apply for a renewal of status of residence?
- Q: Currently I live in Japan with a Dependent visa. What are the necessary procedures to visit my home country?
- Q: I am currently outside of Japan and my permitted period of stay is expiring soon. Is it possible to apply for an extension at a local Japanese embassy?
- Q: Could I still keep my passport while I am applying for an extension of the period of stay? Also, am I allowed to travel outside of Japan?
- Q: My visa as a Specialist in Humanities/International Services is about to expire and I am changing jobs soon. What is the required visa procedure?
- Q: I am changing jobs and need to prove that I am eligible to keep my current status of residence. What are the necessary procedures?
- Q: With the expiration of my visa, when do I need to get a job offer by?
- Q: I am illegally staying Japan beyond the period of stay and wish to leave Japan. What do I need to prepare?