In Japan, the minimum wage for part-time work is specified by the law. The minimum wage varies depending on prefecture, but as of October 2018, the hourly minimum wage for the countryside is around 760 to 850 yen and about 900 to 950 yen in metropolitan areas. Tokyo has the highest minimum hourly wage, 985 yen.
Moreover, according to An, a magazine about part-time jobs, the nationwide average hourly wage for part-time jobs is 1,035 yen. The hourly wage is in the range of 900 to 1,100 yen for convenience stores and restaurants, which are popular part-time jobs among foreign students. Late night and early morning shifts from about 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. pay midnight work allowance, and hence, bring in around 25% more income. These shifts, at times, pay as high as 1,200 yen or more per hour.
[Reference Site] An Report: Average Hourly Wage (July 2019)
[Reference Site] Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare: Nationwide List of Minimum Wages by Region
The list of Frequently Asked Questions
Questions about studying abroad
Questions about a visa and status of residence
- Q: What is a visa?
- Q: What do the “status of residence” and “period of stay” mean?
- Q: What is the Certificate of Eligibility?
- Q: What kind of procedure is expected for a foreign national who wishes to invite relatives to Japan during summer vacation?
- Q: How many months in advance should one apply for a renewal of status of residence?
- Q: Currently I live in Japan with a Dependent visa. What are the necessary procedures to visit my home country?
- Q: I am currently outside of Japan and my permitted period of stay is expiring soon. Is it possible to apply for an extension at a local Japanese embassy?
- Q: Could I still keep my passport while I am applying for an extension of the period of stay? Also, am I allowed to travel outside of Japan?
- Q: My visa as a Specialist in Humanities/International Services is about to expire and I am changing jobs soon. What is the required visa procedure?
- Q: I am changing jobs and need to prove that I am eligible to keep my current status of residence. What are the necessary procedures?
- Q: With the expiration of my visa, when do I need to get a job offer by?
- Q: I am illegally staying Japan beyond the period of stay and wish to leave Japan. What do I need to prepare?